If I was voting tomorrow I would vote for the proposals as I believe that they are the best alternative to the current system for these reasons:
1) Currently all students have to pay up front and under proposals no one pays up front
2) Students only pay until after they graduate
3) Currently the threshold is £15k to pay back but under the proposals this will rise to £21k
4) Everyone will pay back less per month
5) Students who were eligible for school meals as a school pupil, will get up to two years worth of fees free whereas under the current system all students have to pay.
We all have to remember that Labour left us with the largest budget deficit since the Second World War and there is no other choice than to increase fees.
The Government has said that last year, half of young people from the most advantaged areas entered higher education, compared to just 1 in 5 from the most disadvantaged areas. Under these proposals I genuinely believe that it will help poorer students go to university as the government will pay their fees for them. Currently there is no incentive for poorer students as they still have to pay fees and a lot of them are put off by going to university.
For the facts on tuition fees click here